Japan government says Sarkozy, Renzi and May will attend Abe’s funeral
TOKYO, September 16 – RIA Novosti. At a press conference in Tokyo, Japanese Secretary General Hirokazu Matsuno said that former Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe will be attended by former French President Nicolas Sarkozy, former Italian Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, former British Prime Minister Theresa May and other officials.
“In addition to US Vice President (Kamala) Harris and other previously reported officials, the funeral will be attended by Emir of Qatar Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, President of Sri Lanka Ranil Wickramasinghe, Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea Han Deok-soo, former president of France Nicolas Sarkozy “We are happy to welcome these people and give them a worthy welcome.” said Matsuno.
The state funeral of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is causing controversy in the country. It has been announced that until this hour, four opposition parties – the Constitutional Democratic Party, the Communist Party, the Reiva Party and the Socialist Party – will not officially attend the meeting.
Former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was mortally wounded while speaking at a campaign rally in Nara prefecture on July 8. His killer, Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, shot Abe in the back twice with a makeshift gun. In the second shot, the politician was wounded in the neck and chest, and it was fatal. As the doctors said, the wound in the chest was so deep that it reached the heart. Shinzo Abe bled to death. His funeral and cremation took place on 12 July. While Abe’s state funeral was scheduled for September 27, it caused mixed reactions in the community as the decision was taken at a government meeting without the participation of parliament. About 6,000 people are expected to attend the funeral, as part of foreign delegations, as well as representatives of Japan’s regional and central authorities. Representatives of the imperial house may attend the ceremony. An altar will be set up for laying flowers for ordinary citizens.